The Mail views now show abbreviated, simplified dates according to the following changes:
- If the date falls on the current day, then the date column will only show the time, for example: 4:50 PM
- Yesterday's date will have "Yesterday" plus the time
- If the date falls on a prior day within the past year, then the month and day will be shown with the time, for example: May 12 3:50 PM
- If the date falls on a day in a previous year, then the traditional date/time is show, for example: 5/12/2011 3:15 PM
- If, for some reason, there is a future date in the Mail view, due to OS settings, it will be displayed the same way as the "May 12 3:50 PM" example shown previously
Changes to Return Receipt generation control
There are changes and enhancements to return receipt behavior on both outgoing and incoming mail messages.
- For Notes client users, the administrator can configure the behavior through a combination of policy settings and notes.ini settings on the Domino server.
- For iNotes client users, the settings are configured entirely through notes.ini settings on the Domino server
New action bar button for Read/Unread mail
In Notes, a new action bar button in the Inbox allows you to mark messages Read or Unread, instead of using the Edit -> Unread marks menu.
(Note: For iNotes, similar functionality was previously introduced in pre-9.0 releases via the Mark As action bar button.)
(Available pre-9.0. See Note)
If your organization uses IBM Connections, users can manage and share links to files right in their inbox by doing the following:
- Store email attachments to their file repository for easy retrieval and to reduce the size of their mail file.
- Send links to files stored in Connections, instead of including attachments in email.
When you Reply/Reply All from the Sent view, it removes your name from the To field
New fields for "Add Sender to Contacts" dialog box
- Company name
- Business phone
- Home phone
- Mobile phone
See messages in your Inbox grouped by date
From your Inbox, select Show -> Group By Date to see your Inbox grouped into messages from Today, Yesterday, Last week, etc.
Message snippets available in Inbox view
Preview message text in your Inbox view. From the Inbox, select Show -> Beginning of Message to display message body text. Hover over messages in your Inbox to see the first 100 characters.
Image preview for attachments
You will now see a thumbnail preview of attachment images when reading MIME email. You will also see this preview when creating image attachments in the rich text editor.
Improved Protector integration
Additional save option
Users have two options for saving emails they create:
- Save (Default) - saves the email as draft but leaves the message open with focus returning to the message.
- Save as Draft - saves email as draft and closes the message
Back to top
Today is easier to find
Changes background color for today.
Calendar and Scheduling APIs for C SDK
The Notes and Domino calendar and scheduling API enables application developers to create, modify, read, delete, or take calendar actions on calendar entries and meeting notices in a Domino mail file. The API encapsulates the complexities of Notes/Domino calendar data, including repeating meetings and notice creation, by utilizing the standardized iCalendar data format.
A preliminary version of the API for the C SDK is included in the current release. Future Java™ & Script APIs, as well as a REST calendar service may be built on top of this C functionality, but are not included in the current release. Specifics of the calendar functionality contained in the C SDK are documented in the calendarapi.h header file.
Please provide any feedback regarding the API such that we can determine if further modification is needed. At this point the new API is not yet officially supported and is subject to potential modification or omission in future releases.
Scroll through One Month view in Calendar
Instead of viewing only one entire month at a time, now you can scroll through the One Month view of the calendar 1 week at a time. For example, instead of being able to view only all of December or all of January, you can view the last few weeks of December and the first few weeks of January.
Use the vertical scroll bar to navigate forward or backward.
Or use the following shortcuts:
- Drag the scroll bar slider to navigate to a specific month (a tool tip will tell you which month you are scrolling to)
- Click the up or down arrow of the scroll bar to navigate forward or backward by one week
- Click within the scroll bar to navigate forward or backward by one month
- Scroll backward one month - PgUp
- Scroll forward one month - PgDn
- Scroll backward one week - Ctrl+PgUp
- Scroll forward one week - Ctrl+PgDn
New Weekly Planner view
Notes 9.0 Social Edition includes a new Calendar view called Weekly Planner. The Weekly Planner shows the days of the week in a two-column format, which is similar to the Weekly view in the Notes Basic Client. You can scroll within a day to see more entries.
In the Weekly Planner, you can also click Show -> Show Available Times to see the times when no events are scheduled. If you select Show Available Times, it will show a day's available times like this:
Color-code calendar entries by category
You can now color-code your calendar entries by category. Note that this feature will override any existing Calendar Entry Colors settings on the Calendar & To Do -> Colors preferences tab.
To set category colors for calendar entries, choose File -> Preferences -> Calendar & To Do -> Colors -> Category Colors, and set color codes for your calendar event categories.
You can also assign colors for color-coded categories directly from the calendar entry form. From a new calendar entry, select the Assign Colors button.
Check Calendar dialog box remains in view
The Check Calendar dialog can be moved and sized while you're interacting with Notes.
Federated Notes Calendar Enhancements
- Forward a Federated Teamroom calendar to others (Right click on Federated Teamroom calendar, select Email To...)
- New "Cleanup Federated Calendars" action
Dynamic scheduler widget
When a meeting chair creates a meeting or an invitee proposes a new time for a meeting, both can use the new dynamic scheduler widget to easily drag and drop to select a time that accommodates attendee schedules. Users can do the following with the dynamic scheduler widget:
Users can also schedule a meeting right from the iNotes inbox with the new dynamic scheduler widget.
- Drag to change the meeting time or duration
- Notice green check marks over time columns that indicate that all invitees can attend at those times.
- While dragging over different times, notice that the drag bar changes between green and red to indicate whether all invitees can attend or not at the selected time.
- Drop the drag bar on a day boundary to auto-expand the time grid to 24-hour mode
- Quickly pick a recommended meeting time for all required attendees
- Right-click on any document and click Find available time to open the new scheduler.
- Use the dynamic scheduler to pick your meeting time and then click Create meeting to schedule the event quickly.
Calendar Create and Edit form improvements
The new, easier-to-read forms are faster to use to schedule team meetings, as well as individual appointments, anniversaries, all day events, and reminders. Less frequently used features are hidden, yet they remain available in a way that users can easily re-display them and use the features as needed.
Calendar Notice form improvements
The updated forms include these notices an invitee can receive: invitations, broadcast notices, reschedule notices, meeting updates, confirmations, cancellations, notices of being removed from a meeting, and delegation notices (from another invitee). The updated forms include these notices a chairperson can receive: counter-proposals, information requests, acceptance notices, decline notices, delegation notices, and tentative acceptance notices. For meeting invitations, users can tell if they are available within the meeting notice. Users can also act on this new status and check their calendars or propose a new time to meet.
When proposing a new time, users now have the option to add comments by default. Users no longer have to choose between Propose new time and Propose new time with comments; they can simply add comments to a proposal or not.
Calendar view improvements
Many iNotes calendar views now have the following improvements:
- Simplified calendar entry colors
- Conflict indicators to show when two calendar events overlap in time (for example, see Tuesday at 10:00 AM).
- Gutter area that you can easily double-click to create a new entry with an overlapping time
- Calendar entry colors set in Notes show now show in the iNotes calendar entries.
- Entries in the sidebar calendar now have the same formatting as full calendar entries.
Back to top
Embedded Product features
The embedded version of Sametime installed with Notes has been upgraded to Sametime 8.5.2 IFR1. To better understand the differences in functionality, please see the complete list of Sametime 8.5.2 system requirements at: Using Sametime Standard 8.5.2 documentation
Back to top
Embedded experiences in Notes & iNotes
Embedded experiences allow you to access and work with embedded content from applications inside OpenSocial containers, like a gadget or a simple web page, directly in your Notes email. For example, if a colleague uses the IBM Connections Files application to notify you that they have posted an image file, you can preview the image, download the image directly, comment on it, or click Like to recommend it, all directly from the email notification.
iNotes provides the following support for Widgets and Live Text in the Domino OpenSocial component:
- New My Widgets sidebar panel, providing a view of all installed widgets, plus browse catalog and update widget actions
- Drag and drop to install web and OpenSocial widgets from the widget catalog. Right-click and choose Remove to remove the installed widget.
- Open web widgets in a tab, window, floating window, or sidebar. Right-click on the widget and choose the corresponding Open command.
- Open OpenSocial widgets in a tab, floating window, or sidebar. Right-click on the widget and choose the corresponding Open command.
- Edit widget properties by right-clicking on a widget and choosing Properties.
- Web and OpenSocial widgets installable via policy by administrators (pushing widgets to end users)
- Live text recognition and action execution is now supported in emails.
- Send selected text to a widget by selecting the text and double-clicking on the widget in the My Widgets sidebar panel. The widget must have a 'selected text' action configured for it.
Back to top
Widgets & Live Text features
Call phone numbers and start chats through Live Text
In Notes 9.0, the Sametime Live Text actions (call, chat, chat history) are not turned on by default. If you want to use these actions, you need to have the following parameter:
pushed to your system via policy, or included in your \\framework\rcp\plugin_customizations.ini file.
You also have to be logged into the embedded Sametime client to see these actions.
Back to top
Improved search experience with Quick Find
Find information more easily in Mail, Calendar, teamrooms, or any other view in Notes. You can now select which column to search (which also sorts automatically by that column), and if you're searching for a name, type-ahead will help you quickly find that name.
Search results more easily sorted by selected view sort order
The Show Results drop-down menu, which defines the view sort order for search results, has been placed more prominently in the View Search box. This allows you to change the sort order for search results without having to execute the search again each time.
Note: An application must have a full-text index in order for the user to see the Show Results drop-down menu; otherwise you will see aNot Indexed notification link.
Search Mail and Archives at the same time
Notes 9.0 Social Edition allows you to simultaneously search your mail file and any mail archive applications you may have created. This option is available in the Search toolbar. You can disable this option by selecting File -> Preferences -> Search -> Search List and unchecking "All Mail and Archives" from the search list.
Back to top
Remove duplicate contacts
Remove duplicate names and groups from your Contact list (names.nsf). Duplicate contacts are removed only if all fields are identical.
New Policy setting to enable Notes Preference "Mark Private" checkbox by default in the New Contact form
Back to top
Support for IBM Social theme
Support has been added for the IBM Social theme. This theme provides a new, cleaner, more modern look to the client interface, and is being adopted across the IBM product line for UI consistency.
Open Mail, Calendar, and other views with one click
There are new icons next to the Open button, which you can click to open Mail, Calendar, Contacts, Workspace, Discover page, or Updates views in Notes.
Note: Functionality also available in pre-9.0 iNotes releases via the Application Switcher, which with one click you can open Mail, Calendar, Contacts, To Do, Notebook or Workspace views.
(Available pre-9.0. See Note)
The Notes 9.0 Social Edition client introduces a new home page called the Discover page. With the Discover page, users can find targeted Notes client information more quickly and easily, including new features in the release, introductory material for new users, and helpful hints and tips. There is also a Quick Links tab that allows users to launch their workspace, Mail, Calendar, and other Notes applications they have recently used, in addition to providing links to other resources, such as the Notes and Domino wiki.
Note: A user who has customized their home page prior to the Notes 9.0 Social Edition release will still show their same homepage in the Notes client.
Use the mini-view to see work at a glance
The mini-view allows you to see notices, follow-up messages, or to-do items in the navigator of your Mail or Calendar view. The mini-view is collapsed by default; simply click the mini-view to open it.
New toolbar option
A new toolbar menu now includes the option Show Toolbar Only When Editing (View -> Toolbar -> Show Toolbar Only When Editing)
New keyboard shortcuts
Several new keyboard shortcuts and commands are available, that allow you to navigate Notes in a more familiar fashion:
- Ctrl+1, 2, 3 - Open Mail, Calendar, or Contacts, respectively, from anywhere in Notes
- Ctrl+R - Reply to mail or calendar entry
- Ctrl+Shift+R - Reply to All on mail or calendar entry
- Ctrl+V - Paste Special
- Ctrl+Shift+V - Paste as Plain Text
Note: For Macintosh users, Ctrl should be replaced by Cmd.
The following default preferences have changed:
- The new IBM Social theme is turned on by default.
- If you use pop-ups for new mail notification, you’ll now see an unobtrusive slide-in alert on the screen. To change this default behavior, select File > Preferences > Mail > Sending and Receiving to choose a different option.
- Email message tabs are automatically closed after you have replied to, or forwarded, an email. To change this default behavior, select File > Preferences > Mail, and uncheck the "Automatically close original e-mail when replying/forwarding" option.
- Your most recent email messages will now appear first in your Inbox. To change this new preference, select File > Preferences > Mail, and check the desired option. Note: This preference is available for the "All Documents" and "Inbox" views.
- The default setting when deleting a calendar document from a Mail view is now "Remove without asking". To change this setting, select File > Preferences > Mail > Basics, and change the option When I delete a calendar document from an Mail view or folder: to "Ask me if I want to remove or delete".
- Notes now processes all meeting updates automatically, and keeps your meetings up-to-date. To change this setting, select File > Preferences > Calendar and To Do > Display > Notices, and uncheck the "Automatically process meeting updates and apply changes to meetings".
- New meeting notices automatically appear in gray on your calendar, before you accept them. To change this setting, choose File > Preferences > Calendar and To Do > Display > Views, then uncheck the "Display new (unprocessed) notices" option.
- Notes contacts are set up to synchronize with iNotes® and/or mobile devices during replication.
Paste images from clipboard
Chrome and Firefox users can copy and paste images from the clipboard into the rich text editor of a mail message. Other browsers, such as Internet Explorer and Safari, are not supported because they do not support pasting images from the clipboard.
Import contacts into iNotes
Existing Microsoft Outlook contacts can now be imported into the iNotes client by first exporting them from Outlook as a comma separated value (CSV) file, and then importing that file.
Links to IBM Connections and the Notes Browser Plug-In
If you either IBM Connections or the Notes Browser Plug-in installed, the user will see icons for these products in the client masthead. Clicking the icon launches the product.
Attachments area improvements
A new and improved attachment HTML-based area is available across all browsers. This attachment area also supports drag and drop of files in recent browsers that support HTML5.
Notes link improvements
Default links are Notes-only links rather than web links, and the IBM Notes links are represented by new icons (rather than a text link, as in previous releases).
New Notes-only links (default)
If the notes.ini file setting iNotes_WA_OfferNotesURLLinks is set to 1, then both Notes and web links are displayed, respectively, for a linked item.
New Notes and web links, displayed together